Thursday, July 17, 2014

Quick and Easy Nutella "Frosted" Cherries

 

Heyyyy. Long time no see. Yeah I know, I know. About half of my posts say that. And for that I am sincerely sorry. I've been so busy with things around the clock, and even though I say that I could start posting again, last minute things ALWAYS come up. Ugh, I'm realllly sorry.

Anyways, so I was sitting around one Sunday morning anticipating the soccer/football final between Germany and Argentina (I'm SO happy Germany won btw), and though it was like 8:30 in the morning (lol the game was in more than 4 hours), I wanted to make something sweet. Not eat something sweet (I was fasting), but make something that would be sugary and delicious. And after scourging through the fridge and pantry for 30 minutes, I came to the unfortunate conclusion that there was nothing at home to make anything.  So with a desperate attempt (I didn't want to go to the store, hah laziness), I opened my cupboard (the one thing I never open) and found an unopened jar of nutella. WHAT. I did not know it was in there. Dear lord, if I did know, it would've been gone by now. So anyways, I took out the nutella, and I sniffed at it for twenty minutes, looking at it dolefully and wishing that I could just eat one spoon of that creamy, chocolaty, hazelnutty perfection. Eventually, I decided that cherries would go great with chocolate. Why? Because the only alternatives were melon and mango. And my beloved Nutella just wasn't feeling those fruits. Anywhooo, the problem was that if I dipped it in the nutella itself, it would be just one layer of chocolate. And since I was sort of craving the chocolate more than the cherries, I decided to go ahead and make the runny chocolate spread into a more  "moldable, frosting" consistency, just so it would be easier to build up the layers of chocolate.... it isn't actually frosting, its just that the texture is like frosting.
 
 
I picked tart cherries because I figured that they would go better with the nutella. You know, "sweet and sour"
 

I melted the Nutella so that it would be a bit more runny.

 
I wasn't exactly sure how much water to add, but through estimation, I guessed that a little less than 1/4 cup would be good. I figured that it just depends on how you thick or thin you want the consistency to be
    
 
   
  
I quickly added the water in while the mixture was still liquid-ish and warm, stirring it in.
 
 
    
 
So after I took it out of the microwave, I stirred it. It looks kinda weird here, but I swear it eventually looks normal and that it still tastes magical. Plus, the consistency is very frosting-like
 
 
   
 
 
___________________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
This is how the final result turns out to be. Its not perfect, but it does have more layers of chocolate to it than if it were dipped . It definitely was a simple recipe and literally takes only 10 minutes or so.
 
 
 
 
 I made these on Sunday, the day of the final game, and since I was rooting full-heartedly for Germany (one of my two favorite teams), I decided to just throw in some German flag-colored sugar sprinkles. Nope, I did not have black. 
 
 
   


Haha it doesn't really show up on camera, but I promise they were there.
 
I froze them for about 30 minutes and then let them thaw.
 
 
 
Ingredients:
 
Cherries ( I thought tart ones worked better)
 
 bit less than 1/4 cup of water
 
2 very large tablespoons of nutella
 
**optional- sprinkles, colored sugar sprinkles, etc.
 
 
 
Directions:
 
1. Thoroughly, wash a bowl of cherries and leave it out in the open to dry.
2. Take the nutella and microwave it for about 10 seconds.
3. stir it and add the water quickly
4. Put it back in the microwave for another 10 seconds.
5. Take it out and stir until it becomes a frosting-like consistency
6. Take each cherry and mold the cherries around it, adding on thin layers. Work quickly, the chocolate dries fast.
7. After completely the molding, freeze the cherries for around 30-ish minutes and thaw for about 2-3 minutes, since nutella thaws super quick.
 
Enjoyyyy:)
                             

 
 

2 comments:

  1. yummyyyy.... :D strawberries would work just as well tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah, they would've. I just didn't have any at that time :P

      Delete

Please free to leave me comments and questions! :)